In Nature, Our Medicine, you will:
• Uncover the links between planetary and human health.
• Discover the benefits of time in nature for your body, mind and heart.
• Learn how to go forest bathing and create your own nature prescription.
• Find out why nature play is so important for children.
• Look to the philosophies of First Nations people.
• Recognise your inherent biophilia, or love of the living world.
• See how we can heal ourselves and our planet at the same time.
Dr Dimity Williams is a mother, nature lover, and family doctor. Following her medical degree, she completed further training to become a fellow of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners. She has worked as a Family Physician for 25 years in inner Melbourne on Wurundjeri Country, and enjoys looking after the whole person from pre-conception to old age. Dimity has completed additional training in obstetrics, paediatrics and mental health, particularly mindfulness meditation.
She has worked in environmental advocacy with multiple organisations from grassroots community groups to large associations. Dimity is an alumna of the Centre for Sustainability Leadership, a co-founder of the Kids In Nature Network, and founder of Doctors for the Environment Australia’s Biodiversity Special Interest Group. Passionate about integrating nature into healthcare, she has written and spoken about the ‘nature: health interface’ in various forums and delights in issuing nature prescriptions.
Nature, Our Medicine is her first book.
This is a new type of prescription where a doctor suggests their patient spend a certain amount of time in nature on a regular basis. Why? Because spending time in nature has great health benefits!